Air pollution has massive negative consequences on human health, ecosystems and crop yields. According to a report from the European Environment Agency (EEA), it was the cause of over 450 000 premature deaths in the EU in 2016. The European Commission estimates the welfare cost of ill-health linked to poor air quality in the EU to range between €330 billion to €940 billion per year. It is thus paramount that the EU and the Member States increase their effort to fight air pollution and ensure cleaner air for present and future generations.
This timely international symposium will provide an invaluable opportunity to discuss current challenges related to air pollution and to reignite the debate over an EU-wide strategy to ensure cleaner air in Europe, while also enabling the delegates to analyse the role of clean technologies in improving air quality. The symposium offers a platform for discussion on an improved European regulatory framework on air pollution, supports the exchange of ideas, and encourages delegates to engage in thought-provoking topical debate.
- Session 1 - Tracking Recent Developments in the EU Legal Framework on Air Pollution
- Session 2 - Understanding the Consequences of Air Pollution on Human Health, Crops and Ecosystems
- Session 3 - Examining the Role of Social and Technological Innovation in Fighting Air Pollution
- Session 4 - Choosing the Right Enabling Tools to Achieve Environmental Policy Objectives
- Gain knowledge and insights on the revised National Emission Ceiling (NEC) Directive and other constituents of the EU Legal Framework on air pollution
- Analyse preliminary findings from The Urban Agenda for the EU - Partnership for Air Quality
- Examine the negative consequences of poor air quality and assess current progress made towards an effective strategy to fight air pollution
- Explore the possibilities for governments, local authorities and businesses to limit the emission of pollutants through social and technological innovation.
- Establish clear links between the implementation of the EU legal framework on air pollution and its impact on individuals, businesses and the society as a whole
- Learn how to define and implement the most appropriate enabling tools to achieve ambitious environmental policy objectives
- Develop ways to support national strategies via EU funding in order to foster the creation of a cleaner and healthier environment
- Take part in lively and interactive discussions with key stakeholders in the field of energy policy and build lasting partnerships
- Share best practice on innovative projects aimed at fighting air pollution