What you will learn?
Through a mix of practical activities, theory and examples of effective practice you learn how to:
- communicate a Theory of Change overview
- identify a desired change - understanding how change happens
- use participatory methodologies to enhance your strategic planning
- capitalise meta-skills for change
- clarify results at the programme level using logic models and plan a project using the logical framework
- develop indicators and targets
- combine qualitative and quantitative approaches to gather and interpret data
- design and manage evaluation
- use your findings to stimulate learning, improvement and stakeholder buy-in
- develop and work with a practical M&E system
Daily Course Objectives
Week 1: Theory of Change and Strategic Planning
- definitions and key concepts - 4 Dimensions of Theory of Change
- relationship with M&E: complementarities and innovations
- desired change: understanding how change happens
- ecosystem analysis.
Develop a Theory of Change
- assess our work: attribution or contribution to change?
- Meta-skills and self-development in the ToC process
- explore pathways of change: alternative ways to contribute to change
- the power of assumptions: how does our thinking affect our actions?
Complexity, power and learning for social change
- stakeholder engagement: understanding complexity and power dynamics
- develop pathways of change: alternative ways to contribute to change
- indicators of change: how we know we are contributing to change.
Contribution assessment framework and participatory methodologies
- assess contribution to change
- participatory methods and tools for contribution assessment
- reflect on our assessment practices.
Integrating learning into practice
- revisit our M&E system from a contribution assessment perspective
- meta-skills for facilitating Theory of Change processes
- learning synthesis and steps forward.
The changing role and practice of M&E
- M&E fundamentals
- results approaches: outputs, outcomes and impact
- relate M&E to your programme and project cycle
- identify stakeholders and their differing needs and roles.
- develop logic models
- work with and beyond logframes.
Developing M&E frameworks
- criteria for indicators
- develop project indicators
- identify means of verification.
- quantitative and qualitative approaches and instruments
- data organisation, quality assurance and analysis
- design baseline, evaluation and impact studies.
M&E system and plan
- prepare M&E plan
- M&E system overview
- learning synthesis.
Data gathering in practice: fieldwork
- practice data gathering tools
- use different tools to gather data in live context
- field work reflection.
Theory of Change
- develop a theory of change from the live data gathered during fieldwork
- relate theory of change thinking to M&E.
Information for decision-making
- review monitoring data
- use M&E information and evidence for decision-making
Fostering a learning culture
- identify ways to foster a learning culture
- become M&E change agents and champions
- coaching and preparation for participant presentations
Using what you have learnt
- participant presentations
- embedding learning for personal and organisational benefit
- collective course reflection
11 Nov 2019 @ 09:00 am
12 Nov 2019 @ 05:00 pm
Duration: 1 days, 8 hours
Khwaeng Makkasan, Khet Ratchathewi, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon